Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: China Glaze Whirled Away

Inline image 2
♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Tumblr ♥ Instagram ♥ Pinterest 



Did you think I dropped off the face of the Earth?? No such luck, bud-day! No excuses, no explanations.. just a quick + dirty review of my most recent polish purchase.

Whirled Away is from the China Glaze Cirque Du Soleil collection and one of the only shades I desired from this release (the other being It's A Trap-eze! but I can't find it anywhere). It's totally unique to my collection; out of 320+ bottles I don't have a single black, white, or black & white glitter top coat so off to Sally's I went.

'Weeeeeee!' I exclaimed in the car after purchasing it. It looked so. cool! It contains medium black hex glitter, black bar glitter, and large white hex glitter. As I mentioned on Instagram, my bottle had one rogue, tiny red glitter floating around in it.. it does not belong there. Wish I would have noticed that before completing my purchase because I am WAY too lazy to go all the way back to do an exchange over ONE red glitter (c'mon now!). I couldn't wait to try it out!

Pictured above: DISAPPOINTMENT.

I imagined this perfectly speckled/splattered look to my mani, over vibrant, eye-catching colors. Every photo I saw online of this top coat looked awesome over every single color it graced.. I couldn't wait to get it on my nails! I picked Zoya America as my base color which is my very favorite bright red cream. Now comes the sad part of this dramedy...

What you're looking at above?? That's THREE painfully annoying (!!) coats of Whirled Away over two coats of Zoya America. I realize this is not meant to be a full cover glitter but the glitter was so fucking sparse in a sea of thick, blobby, clear base that it made application a nightmare. I had to fight with this polish on every finger, trying to fish out the the good stuff while trying to avoid layering on too much of the clear base. The white hex glitters were nearly impossible to find/fish out so I only have one per nail which looks kind of wack. Of course a ton of the base still poured on to my nails which meant they took forever to dry - even after sealing it up with a coat of Seche! (Are you counting along? That's a full 6 layers on nails..)

My boyfriend said, "Looks like ladybug nails." which is, uh, not exactly what I was going for. Also, having so many layers on the nail means that this mani was more prone to chipping.. and chip it did, in big, jagged pieces. It only lasted two days.

When all was said and done I was far less impressed with this black & white glitter. I liked the look.. or rather, what it could have been... but anything that takes that much effort is just not worth it to me. I might hunt down one of the indy versions of this polish some time after Christmas, that is, if I can find one that doesn't cost the same as a Volvo.

The verdict: I wish I had more hands so I could give this polish 4 thumbs down.



6 comments:

  1. Euugh that is horrible!!! D: I thought it looked cute in your photos until I read that that was 3 coats of it!! >:( That is really poopey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this, myself, and made the same time-wasting mistake as you did... I'm going to try it again tomorrow, this time i'm going to pour some out of the bottle and either get the pieces onto the brush, or place them onto my nails with a dotter and then do one normal coat. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about doing that too (dotting tool) but wasn't sure if I'd be able to get the bar glitter on there effectively. let me know how that works out, I really wanna try this over a neon teal I have but don't want to bother if its going to he a huge pain in the ass again.. good luck! ;)

      Delete
  3. Awh that's frustrating! Would look great if it turned out properly!
    http://www.thescarletribbonblog.blogspot.ie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oohh pretty! I love it with the black sparkles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate all of the feedback. Have a beautiful day! ♥